Our Chi Rho (middle school) and CYF (high school) youth are not just the future of the church; they are the here & now, hands & feet of Christ, active participants in the church! From Youth Sundays, Mission Trips, Church Camp, Sunday School and Weekly Youth Group, these students enliven our church and community
We have worship every Sunday at 10 AM virtually on Zoom. We ask one Chi-Rho and CYF youth to read the scripture each week. At Wakonda, we value and look forward to youth participation in our worship services. Having our youth read the scripture is one way youth stay connected to our church even when we cannot meet in our sanctuary.
One Sunday a month we will have an outdoor in-person worship service starting at 10 AM. We are having in-person worship once a month because we know how important it is to meet in person, but we also know it is so easy to get relaxed on social distancing. Meeting in-person once a month keeps us vigilant in our safety measures. Bruce will read the scripture on these outdoor, in-person worship services for safety/social distance reasons.
At all in-person worship services masks will be required, social distancing will be maintained, and hand sanitizer will be available for everyone.
Sunday school is the foundation of our youth Sunday morning experience. This conversation style class combines our Chi Rho (middle school) and CYF (high school) groups.
- On the Sunday we have outdoor worship, we will have Intergenerational Sunday School before worship at 9 AM. Intergenerational Sunday School will be socially distanced small groups with intentional mixing of the generations.
- Chi-Rho and CYF youth will meet at 9:30 AM for a virtual check-in on zoom with Kristen Alstott. The link for check-ins will be the same as the zoom link sent out for worship. This is a way to keep older youth connected while respecting their busy schedules and appreciation of sleeping in on weekends.
- One Sunday afternoon a month at 2:00 PM, youth will have the opportunity to do an in-person service/volunteer project. We know our youth value helping our community and we fully encourage and support that compassion. We will meet at the church. Please provide your own transportation to differing locations, if we travel for our service/volunteer project.
- At all youth group gatherings masks will be required, social distancing will be maintained, and hand sanitizer will be available for everyone.
Wednesdays @ Wakonda:
Wednesday’s at Wakonda ([email protected]) is our weekly Youth Group where Chi Rho and CYF aged groups gather together for an evening meal, games, study, mission minded activities and so much more. [email protected] gathers at 6:00 p.m.
- Middle and High school youth will meet on Wednesdays at 6:00 PM on the lawn by the playground at Wakonda CC. Kristen Alstott will be leading this group with the help of youth sponsors.
- Leaders will provide a pre-packaged meal for youth to enjoy safely on Wednesday nights. We know how important it is to have youth fed and nourished, and we will find creative ways to feed our youth while keeping them safe. We ask at this time that you do not bring any food to be shared. Each youth will be asked to give $30 each semester to help us with the cost of meals.
- At all youth group gatherings masks will be required, social distancing will be maintained, and hand sanitizer will be available for everyone. Younger and older youth will meet separately to help maintain small group size and social distancing. We know this may be difficult for families that have both younger and older youth, but it was the safest way for us to meet and maintain COVID safety measures at this time.
At this time, all of our in-person meetings are outdoors. As we know, Iowa weather can change quickly. We will have a plan B in place, so we aren't stuck outdoors when there is inclement weather.
- In the case of inclement weather, groups will meet on Zoom, and we will carry out activities, to the best of our abilities, virtually.
- Your Wakonda leaders will let youth and families know changes in as much advance as possible via email, facebook messenger, and texting.
Every Summer our CYF (high school) and graduated Eighth Graders participate in a national mission. Please check back in the spring for updated information.
In partnership with the Christian Conference Center of the Upper Midwest Region of the Christian Church Disciples of Christ, the church supports students as young as 3 for Grandparent camp, through High School Aged youth to participate in the transformative camping ministry. The Christian Conference Center is located in Newton, IA. To find out more, please visit http://www.uppermidwestcc.org